New parents may also want to connect with the USC Moms’s Group – see the Gateway section on “New baby or adoption?” for information.
The following resources may also be helpful when looking for child care. All listings below are informational only; no endorsement implied.
- ChildCareAware provides referrals to local child care providers, information on state licensing requirements and information on availability of child care subsidies
- Connection for Children provides child care referrals to licensed preschools and/or home-based child care centers in West Los Angeles
- Crystal Stairs refers parents to licensed preschools and/or home-based child care centers in South Los Angeles
- Pathways refers parents to licensed preschools and/or home-based child care centers in West Hollywood and Echo Park
- Los Angeles County child care resources
- Sittercity is a commercial enterprise that has a database for babysitters, nannies and pet sitters, serving the entire L.A. area and most of Southern California (Sittercity does not screen sitters, but for a fee they will do a background check)
- Trustline is a database of nannies and babysitters that have cleared criminal background checks in California… it is a screening program of in-home caregivers in the state with access to fingerprint records at the California Department of Justice and the FBI.
USC’s Center for Work and Family Life also has a webpage of comprehensive family and dependent care resources.
Additional downtown-area daycare options (from the parenting group Brief Case and Diaper Bag):
- County Kids Place
- Mount St. Mary’ College Child Development Center
- H. Pregerson Child Care Center
- White Memorial Medical Center—Rainbow Children’s Center
- Cal Trans Tiny Dots Early Education Center
- Union Station Gateway Child Development
- St Anne’s Early Learning Center
- Pilgrim School at 6th & Commonwealth
- Lumbini Child Development Center
Additional HSC-area daycare options (suggested by HSC-area parents):