USC provides a suite of valuable benefits through MetLife – including basic life/accidental death and dismemberment coverage at no cost to benefits-eligible employees and an array of additional voluntary coverages you may wish to purchase for your family’s protection, including:
- Accident insurance
- Critical illness insurance
- Hospital indemnity insurance
- Legal plans coverage
Visit the MetLife dedicated USC employee portal for a wealth of helpful information. Below are specific links to the various options available. You may opt into most of these only upon hire or during open enrollment.
Life insurance/Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) insurance
Life insurance protects your family financially in the event of your death; money is generally paid income tax free to your beneficiaries, who can use the money for any purpose. USC provides all benefits-eligible employees with $50,000 in basic life/AD&D insurance at no charge.
- Basic Life benefits are reduced by 35% at age 65 and by 50% at age 70.
- Employees may purchase additional Supplemental Life and AD&D insurance between $10,000-$2,500,000 at their own expense subject to Evidence of Insurability (EOI) in $10,000 increments. There are no age-based reductions on USC’s Supplemental Life plans.
- All applications for coverage are subject to review and approval by MetLife. If you choose to apply for increased coverage, the increase may be subject to underwriting. MetLife will review your information and evaluate your request for coverage based upon your answers to the health questions, MetLife’s underwriting rules and other information you authorize us to review. In certain cases, MetLife may request additional information to evaluate your request for coverage (even if you answered “no” to the health questions).
- AD&D pays a benefit for loss of life or dismemberment resulting from a covered accidental bodily injury. Your beneficiary may receive up to 100% of the AD&D amount if you die as a result of a covered accidental injury. You may receive an accidental dismemberment benefit for losses to a hand, a foot, or the sight of an eye due to an accidental injury. See the policy for exact schedule of losses and benefits.
- New Enrollees must be actively at work on the effective date for coverage to be in force. If not, enrolled coverage will become effective upon return to Active at Work/eligible status.
- Dependents, in order to be eligible for dependent life coverage, employee must be enrolled in supplemental life coverage. Dependent must not be confined to a hospital on the effective date, or at home for any medical reason or be receiving or entitled to receive disability income for any medical reason on the date the coverage is scheduled to become effective
- It is the responsibility of the employee to ensure dependents are eligible for coverage under these policies. Please refer to the policy certificate or HR for more information.
The USC employee MetLife life insurance page offers extensive information on these benefits, including pricing for Supplemental Life Insurance – an option you can exercise at any time.
These options are only available within 30 days of hire date, or during open enrollment. Visit each page to learn more.
Accident insurance payments are made directly to you, not your healthcare provider, so you can use the money however you want. More than 150 events are covered under this plan, in addition to any benefits your medical plan may pay. This plan includes a wellness benefit that pays you $60 for completing one of a number of preventive health care activities (completing USC’s health assessment is one of them).
Critical illness insurance
A critical illness in the family can be a scary and uncertain time. A lump-sum payment – one convenient payment all at once – paid directly to you, when it matters, means one less worry. What’s more, covered conditions include heart attack, cancer, and stroke, among others. This plan includes a wellness benefit that pays you $50 for completing one of a number of preventive health care activities, but if you have critical illness insurance only, and complete a mammogram, the plan pays you $200.
Hospital indemnity insurance
Hospitalization can be expensive, and hospital indemnity insurance provides a direct lump-sum payment – one convenient payment all at once – if you or a family member are hospitalized. Because MetLife makes the payment to you, not your healthcare provider, you can use the money any way you see fit. This plan includes a wellness benefit that pays you $50 for completing one of a number of preventive health care activities (completing USC’s health assessment is one of them).
MetLife Legal insurance (formerly known as Hyatt Legal)
Low-cost access to legal coverage is available from MetLife Legal Plans. Fully covered legal services are free when you enroll and pay the small monthly premium of $15.74. You must enroll in the plan within 30 days of your employment at USC or wait until the next open enrollment. The plan provides unlimited, confidential telephone advice and office consultation, giving you the opportunity to discuss with an attorney any personal legal problems that are not specifically excluded matters, even if the matter is not fully covered under the plan.
During the consultation, the attorney will explain your rights, point out your options and, if needed, recommend a course of action. The attorney will identify any further coverage available under the plan and will undertake representation if you wish. If representation is covered by the plan, you will not be charged for the network attorney’s services. If representation is recommended, but is not covered by the plan, the network attorney will provide a written fee statement in advance.
Some of the services provided include:
- Purchase, sale, or refinancing of a primary residence
- Wills and estate planning – estate planning at your fingertips
- Deed preparation and immigration assistance
- Debt matters and identity theft defense
- Civil litigation defense
Effective January 1, 2023, MetLife Legal Plan’s services are expanding by adding these services at no additional cost:
- Identity Management Services
- Guardianship or Conservatorship (Contested)
- Home Equity Loans (Second or Vacation Home)
- Refinancing of Residence (Second or Vacation Home)
- Sale or Purchase of Residence (Second or Vacation Home)
- Attorney Services for Non-Covered Matters – 4 hours max.