Help for USC job applicants
QUESTIONS ABOUT COMPLETING MY APPLICATION
How do I apply?
- To be considered for any of our employment opportunities, please submit an online application at the USC Careers website, which is also where you may review all available positions. We do not consider emailed, faxed, or paper resumes/applications; please do not send duplicate information to our HR Service Center.
Do I need a resume? Should I provide a cover letter?
- You may be able to complete an application without providing a resume or cover letter. Review the job posting before submitting your application; the job posting will indicate the required documents for that specific position.
Where do I upload a cover letter or additional document?
- Our system will allow you to add additional documentation by clicking the “upload” button in the same section where you attach your resume. You may upload any other document you believe will help us consider you for the position to which you are applying.
I forgot to attach my documents. Can you reactivate my application?
- Unfortunately, we are not able to reactivate an application once it has been submitted, but we can help attach necessary documents to your current application. Please email our HR Service Center at firstname.lastname@example.org and include the documents you would like us to attach to your application.
I started the application process but did not finish. Now I don’t see the position online. Can I complete my application?
- You do not see the position online anymore because the department is no longer accepting applications. Because you were in the process of submitting an application, you may submit a brief description of your situation along with your resume so we may forward this information to the recruiter. Please email our HR Service Center at email@example.com with this information. Departments handles these types of situations on a case by case basis and your further consideration for the position is not guaranteed.
QUESTIONS ABOUT THE STATUS OF MY APPLICATION
What is the status of my application?
- You may check the status of your application by logging on to your application profile and checking the status. If it states “Under Review” this means you are still under consideration and the department will contact you should you be selected to move forward in the process.
I submitted my application weeks or months ago. When will I be called?
- The recruiting process can take a long time due to volume of applicants and specific departmental interview processes. You may check the status of your application by logging on to your application profile and checking the status. If it states “Under Review” this means you are still under consideration and the department will contact you should you be selected to move forward in the process.
QUESTIONS ABOUT THE APPLICATION SYSTEM
Can I change my email address in the application system?
- You may change your email address through your applicant home menu. Click on the cloud icon displayed on the top right hand corner, choose “account settings”, enter the desired email and click submit. Please note you must validate the new email address before the change takes effect; a validation email will be sent to the new email address. If you need further help, please contact us at (213) 821-8100.
I forgot my username and/or password and cannot reset it myself.
- Send your name and email address to our HR Service Center at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will resolve this issue.
QUESTIONS ABOUT SPECIFIC JOBS
What is the salary range for this position?
- If the salary is not displayed in the job posting you may request the salary range once you have completed an initial interview.
Can I get a copy of the job description/posting?
- You can print the job posting directly from our careers website. If it is no longer posted, we may be able to help; each request is handled on a case by case basis. Please email our HR Service Center at email@example.com.
Where can I find the contact information for the hiring manager/recruiter?
- For a variety of reasons, including privacy protection, we do not provide hiring manager or recruiter contact information.
ADDITIONAL FREQUENT QUESTIONS
Are background screens performed for all new employees?
- Yes. Background screens are conducted following a conditional offer of employment and as a condition of employment, with individuals subject to additional screening in accordance with departmental requirements for all staff, staff providing clinical services, faculty, clinical faculty at the Keck School of Medicine, clinical faculty at the Herman Ostrow School of Dentistry, faculty, staff and volunteers assigned to work in a program designed specifically for minors, and all postdoctoral scholar-research associates, postdoctoral scholar-teaching fellows, postdoctoral scholar-visiting fellows and postdoctoral scholar-fellowship trainees. See USC’s background screening policy.
Do you have internships/volunteer opportunities?
- We do offer both internship and volunteer opportunities. If you are a USC student please visit ConnectSC for employment/internship opportunities and USC Volunteer Center for volunteer opportunities. For non-USC students, please contact the specific department in which you are interested, as not all departments participate in internship or volunteer opportunities. For a list of USC departments see the USC Department Directory.
What if I need an accommodation to apply for a position?
- We provide reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should contact our HR Service Center at (213) 821-8100 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If we did not answer your question, please contact our HR Service Center at email@example.com or (213) 821-8100.
- If you are a faculty applicant, please contact the position manager listed in the job posting, or contact the school directly.
- If you are an internal USC applicant (if you are already a USC employee), see our Your USC Career page for more information.