USC faculty and staff are entrusted with the privacy of information we collect, use, disclose, and retain on a daily basis.
Data Privacy Day occurs every Jan. 28 and is an international effort to educate individuals and businesses across all industries to respect privacy, safeguard data, and enable trust.
Ways to ensure data privacy at USC
- Never store confidential information, such as student grades, on an unencrypted device.
- Only collect and store information as needed for your business purposes.
- Keep personal information safe and secure.
- Only share USC personal and confidential information on a need-to-know basis and as permitted by USC policies and the law.
Ways to protect your personal data
We all should take steps to protect our personal data as well as understand who has it and how is it being used. Take the following actions to safeguard your data and privacy:
- Change your passphrases regularly and do not use the same passphrase for multiple websites.
- Review websites’ and mobile apps’ privacy policies, and use and update your privacy settings to reflect your preferences.
- Delete mobile apps you no longer use.