As a USC employee, you will on occasion be required to complete mandated training. Some mandated training is specific to certain situations; other training is job-specific; and some training applies much more broadly, across the university.
Harassment Prevention training
California law requires that every two years all employees receive harassment prevention training including information about prohibited workplace conduct, specifically regarding discrimination, harassment, and retaliation.
USC provides an online course with content that meets this requirement. The course takes approximately two hours to complete. To access the course, log in to TrojanLearn. Once logged in, search for “Harassment Prevention” – then simply launch the training. If you need help accessing the course, contact the HR Service Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or (213) 821-8100.
Watch for an email from TrojanLearn with instructions on how to access your required material, and information on completion deadlines.
Wage and Hour training
Annually, all non-exempt/hourly employees, and all managers who approve timesheets, must take the university’s Wage and Hour training.
Required training for managers
Management Essentials is the mandated training for all new managers, whether they are hired as managers or promoted into a manager position. It’s also available in TrojanLearn.
Training for other specific job duties
Employees within a number of groups, and performing a variety of job duties, must complete mandated training requirements:
- Protecting Minors – if you work with minors
- Defensive Driving – if you operate a university motor vehicle (including golf carts) and available in TrojanLearn
- Environmental Health and Safety training – if your job description involves environmental health or safety issues
- Campus Security Authority/Clery training – if you are designated as a Campus Security Authority (CSA)
- Kuali Financial System training – if you use the Kuali system
- FERPA training – if you access student information systems
- HIPAA privacy education – if you have access to PHI
- Healthcare compliance education – if you are clinical faculty or staff
- Grants management education – if you are proposing research, are a PI or research administrator, or seek approval privileges on sponsored projects accounts
- Human subjects protections training – if you are involved in research with human subjects
- Good Clinical Practices and other research-related training – in you are involved in research
Other departments at USC offer training that may be mandated for their own group, or for those who interact with that group. Talk to your manager about requirements for your area, especially if your job duties fall under any of the following:
- Auxiliary Services
- Business Services (can apply to employees across the university who work in business-related functions)
- Contracts and Grants (can apply to employees across the university who work in contracts, grants or research)
- Environmental Health and Safety (can apply to employees across the university who work in labs, shops, healthcare settings, or any potentially hazardous environment)
- Financial Aid Office
- Compliance (can apply to employees across the university who work in healthcare or research settings)
- Research (can apply to employees across the university who work in research settings)
- Workday (can apply to HR personnel who are system transactional users)