Employee emergency information
Immediate student, faculty or staff threat in the campus community:
- UPC emergencies (213) 740-4321
- HSC emergencies (323) 442-1000
Recognizing disturbing situations
A few examples of actions or behaviors (students or employees) that may require a report to a campus resource:
- Explicit statements about harming someone
- Sending disturbing messages by email, text, letters or other source
- Unexplained absenteeism
- Making statements that support the use of violence to resolve an issue
- Potential domestic violence displays of paranoia
- Suicidal thoughts or actions
- Coursework content that is alarming
- Disruptive behavior or abrasive behavior toward others
For additional information, see the Disruptive and Threatening Behavior Guidebook for Faculty and Staff.
Concerns about students
If a student needs mental health assistance, contact Student Counseling Services. Counseling is confidential and included in the student health center free. Ask to speak with the on-call counselor for an immediate consultation if it is an urgent matter, and inform your dean or manager about the situation.
- UPC (213) 740-7711 (24/7)
- HSC (323) 442-5631 (24/7)
If a student needs help with non-mental health challenges (finances, personal tragedy, housing, etc.) contact Student Support and Advocacy at (213) 821-4710 or (213) 740-2421. For after-hours assistance, contact DPS.
Concerns about faculty or staff
If an employee needs mental health assistance, contact the Center for Work and Family Life. Confidential counseling is available for employees and their families and will not be made part of the employee’s personnel file. Ask to speak with the on-call counselor (24/7) for an immediate consultation if it is an urgent matter, and inform your dean or manager about the situation if it involves another employee.
- (213) 821-0800
- After hours (213) 880-6657
If an employee needs help with non-mental health challenges (finances, personal tragedy, housing, etc.), contact the Center for Work and Family Life, and/or Human Resources at (213) 821-8100.
Department of Public Safety non-emergency contacts
- UPC (213) 740-6000
- HSC (323) 442-1200