USC’s Parental Leave Program has been updated, effective July 1, 2022, to create more people-centric experiences for our faculty and staff, while also helping ensure USC remains in compliance with all required regulations. The updates are as follows:
Benefits to Faculty and Staff
- Maintains the current length and benefit amount of Paid Parental Leave provided to faculty and staff for delivery of a child (i.e., up to 10 weeks)
- Expands eligibility for faculty and staff to include the:
- addition of foster care, surrogacy, and guardianship as available benefits
- expansion of adoption leave for children up to age 18
- Management of Parental Leave benefits will be through Workday to effectively integrate financial and human resource administrative functions and ensure faculty and staff are paid accurately and on time.
- To ensure accurate, real-time administration of Parental Leave benefits, faculty and staff enrolled in the USC disability plan, must file Parental Leave claims in real time through Broadspire, USC’s Third-Party Administrator. Faculty and staff enrolled in the California State Disability Insurance, Paid Family Leave (PFL) must file Parental Leave claims through Employment Development Department (EDD).
- Note that this does not change the current process for informing the university of a planned parental leave. Leave Specialists and Faculty Affairs Partners in schools and units are trained to support faculty and staff through the parental leave process.
To learn more about USC’s Parental Leave Program, view the Parental Leave Policy here and visit the Parental Leave page on the Employee Gateway here.
If you have questions, please email the HR Service Center at email@example.com or call 213-821-8100.