Smoking cessation resources
For faculty, staff or students who wish to quit
- USC Pharmacies smoking cessation help – one-on-one consultations with the clinical pharmacist to discuss individualized smoking cessation plans, provide and discuss nicotine replacement therapy medications (prescription or non-prescription), and recommendations for coping with withdrawal symptoms. Each patient is seen one or two times a week by appointment for approximately 12 weeks; no referral from a healthcare provider is necessary. For employees the cost is $80; for students, $50.
- USC School of Occupational Therapy’s Lifestyle Redesign Program
- Herman Ostrow School of Dentistry offers help through their dental hygiene clinic
- The USC Center for Work and Family Life can support those looking to quit before, during and after
- California Smokers Helpline (offered in multiple languages) at 800-NO-BUTTS
- American Lung Association
- Quit.com (sponsored by Nicorette, NicoDerm, etc.)
For USC faculty and staff through medical insurance providers
Some of USC’s medical insurance providers offer help:
USC Network Medical Plan
Participants may enroll in up to two smoking cessation programs per calendar year, covered under the Prescription Drug program. For Tier 1 and Tier 2 providers, the plan pays 100% of the cessation program; for Tier 3, the plan pays 50%. See the benefits site for details.
Anthem Blue Cross HMO (non-union) AND Anthem MyChoice HMO (union – Keck/Norris)
- No charge for nicotine dependency smoking cessation programs.
- No charge for smoking cessation counseling and intervention services as part of a full physical exam or periodic checkup for the purpose of education on potential health concerns.
- Prescription drugs to help stop smoking or reduce dependence on tobacco products, as well as over-the-counter nicotine replacement products (limited to nicotine patches and gum) are covered when obtained with a doctor’s prescription. These drugs and products are covered as preventive care services.
Kaiser Permanente (non-union)
- No charge for individual counseling during an office visit related to smoking cessation
- Wellness coaching available to all members – phone sessions tailored to individual patients
- Online programs, special rates, and classes offered at medical centers